Healthy Habits To Go

Healthy Habits To Go

Certified exercise and nutrition specialist David Pritchard on taking wellness on the road.

AS A WELLNESS ambassador, my job is to guide and coach people so they can achieve long-term health and wellness. Here’s how you can make yourself healthier, enjoy your vacation more, and be totally present.

You want to make sure you soak up all the great experiences waiting for you rather than worrying about how you look in a swimsuit or stressing out about the calories you’re consuming. You can even use these tips when you get home and keep the momentum going.

FIND A REASON BIGGER THAN YOU.
What inspires you?
Perhaps you want to set a good example, dance at a family wedding, or be around for grandkids. Even on vacation, you can stay motivated and continue your wellness journey.

  • Start planning your goals and, remember, staying fit on vacation doesn’t have to be hard.
  • Set goals during your trip. Examples include a 30-minute walk on the beach, a bike ride around the resort or sunrise yoga every morning
  • Be selfish. Carve out time every day for your wellness, whether at home or during your vacation.

EMBRACE YOUR REALITY.
A healthy lifestyle is all about balance and time management, and it’s important to focus on small changes over time. As you get ready for your trip, remember that you are going on a journey.

  • During your vacation, continue exercising and eating well, but don’t get caught up in trying to lose weight.
  • Consider activities that may be new to you like surfing, snorkeling or beach volleyball.
  • Sleep. Rest. Recover. Breathe. Relish this time to rejuvenate and slow down.

EAT CLEAN.
Vacation is great for rest, rejuvenation and new experiences, but it also takes us away from our daily routines. Don’t let it take you away from your healthy habits.

  • Practice the 80/20 philosophy. Make good choices 80 percent of the time and enjoy a few treats the remaining 20 percent.
  • Pick your splurges wisely. Enjoy a rich local specialty, but pass on items you can get at home that just add extra calories.
  • Plan ahead. Bring healthy snacks for travel days and familiarize yourself with the resort menus in advance.
  • Eat four meals a day: breakfast, lunch, 4 p.m. protein snack, dinner—but watch portion sizes.
  • Minimize sugar and sodium, and be mindful of hidden sugars in cocktails.

MOVE.
Vacation gives you a break from your usual workout routines. Use this opportunity to find new ways to move your body, have fun and stay fit.

  • Consider walking on the beach, swimming, biking, hiking, golf and tennis.
  • Visit your resort’s fitness center, or use the hallways and paths around the property for power walking.
  • Choose sightseeing and tourist activities that require walking or biking rather than a tour bus. Take the stairs instead of escalators and elevators.
  • Incorporate movement into your travel days. Just 10 minutes of stretching or walking at the airport will prove beneficial.
    The Tipster

  • Traveling as a group? With Groups Your Way, Vacation Coaches can easily handle arrangements, even if you’re arriving from separate cities
  • Take baby powder to the beach and dust some on to get the sand off.
  • Fill an empty contact lens case with makeup and moisturizer instead of bringing full bottles in your luggage.

David Pritchard full body Image

MY DESTINATION WELLNESS

Guilt-Free Getaways

Turn your next vacation into a fitness-focused getaway. David Pritchard has worked with Funjet Vacations to develop My Destination Wellness. The group wellness retreats are held at Hard Rock Hotels in Cancún, the Riviera Maya, and Punta Cana, and El Dorado Royale and El Dorado Casitas Royale by Karisma in the Riviera Maya. Whether your ideal getaway consists of beachfront yoga classes, high-octane individual workouts or something in between, My Destination Wellness will help you rejuvenate your mind, body and soul.

For more information, contact your Vacation Coach or call 800-281-4806 to learn about group vacations.